Saturday, August 29, 2015

HOUDINI: Boot Camp Saga Pt.2

Today was the second day of the Houdini workshop. This time around, things were a lot more complicated than before. Confusion ran rampant as everyone tried to figure out what the Hell they were doing. I definitely ended the day feeling like my brain was mush as I tried to process everything we were working on.

Houdini's a program you definitely need more than one weekend of instruction to learn. You'll probably need a few months to be even halfway competent with it. Though, I appreciate that I -- at least -- know the very basics of this program. I hope we will be able to utilize it in at least one of the games we'll be making in the future.

rollin', rollin', rollin'.

We spent almost four hours on a barrel. That's right: a barrel. NOT JUST ANY BARREL. We were working on making it into an attribute. By doing that, artists could take that attribute and make many different variations of that barrel (and even pots/baskets out of it, if the cap's removed). It would definitely serve a lot of use once you start building 3D environments! Though this was definitely a complicated process. I spent 80% of the time not knowing what I was doing and hoping for the best.



colors of the rainbow SHINE SO BRIGHT.

Next we worked on a box. We gave that box a buncha pixels of colors (that varied like a disco ball when animated!) and made the thing exploded into a bunch of dancing color-changing pieces. This part was us playing with some of the settings and equations -- and me making a lot of simple mistakes. orz. It was pretty nifty!


THE LOCUSTS RETURN.

I don't know what's up with this class and locusts, but here we go! The last part of today's workshop was getting particles to move in a set path. The first round we did it with a curve, and the second round we did it with smoke. That was definitely lot of fun. ♥ Since we were able to do smoke with the program, I really want to try my hand at messing with water or even fire. There's so much you can do with this program and I'm really looking forward to being able to implement them in the future.

TL;DR: My brain is mush right now speed-learning a pretty cool program.




No comments:

Post a Comment